DfE Report: Education-related exports & TNE activity worth £18.76 billion to UK Economy
A new report, issued by the Department for Education, shows that in 2014, the total value of UK education-related exports and TNE activity was estimated to be £18.76 billion, an increase of 18% over 2010 in current prices.
The report updates data released from the Government in the 2013 International education strategy. It provides experimental estimates of the value of education-related exports and transnational education (TNE) activity from 2010 to 2014, using updated data from 2014. TNE activity encapsulates education provided in a country different to that of the awarding institution.
The report includes the respective contribution of the higher and further education sectors to the total value of exports from the UK education sector. Education-related services and goods (of which Higher Education is the main contributor) accounted for 92% of the total value, with revenue from TNE activity accounting for the remaining 8 per cent in 2014.
Higher education exports were estimated at £12.43 billion in 2014, an increase of around 30% over 2010. This increase has largely been driven by an increase in non-EU student income (which rose by around 30%) and an increase in income from research and other contracts (which rose by around 56%).
Other key findings:
• English Language Training (ELT) exports were estimated to be 18% lower in 2014 compared to 2010, primarily reflecting a decrease in length of course being taken-up, resulting in lower fees and living expenditure.
• Non-EU Further Education exports were estimated at £0.36 billion in 2014, a 61% fall compared to 2010, mostly caused by a decline in the number of non-EU visa applications for individuals wishing to study at UK FE colleges.
• Independent School exports increased slightly, from £0.63 billion to £0.8 billion, an increase of 27%.
The full Department for Education report is available here.
A report by Exporting Education UK from 2016 which outlines a similar decline in export value can be accessed here.
- Posted by Exporting Education UK
- On 07/08/2017